Friday, March 11, 2005

Evil Yarn

** WARNING: FOLLOWING POST SUBJECT IS KNITTING. IT IS DULL. DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN SAID SUBJECT. YOU MAY FALL ASLEEP **

No, this is not becoming a knitting blog. But I must vent. Why oh why do I make things so difficult? It's all me. I know that. What has happened is something I do all the time.

Last night I went to the store to buy some yarn for the proposed baby sweater. My mom gave me a pattern and all I had to do was find the yarn. As I'm looking at all the baby yarns in their white and pastel colors I am saddened. WHY must it be pastel? I'm just not a big fan. Then I spot it. The most beautiful yarn. All soft and lovely. In with the baby yarns. Oh, how can I resist?

I checked out every yarn in the place. It is the yarn I MUST have. I buy too much but it is okay because I want to make myself something with the soft loveliness.

I pick up the kids on the way home and show my mom the yarn. A look of concern passes over her face. "It's not really baby yarn."

I go home, put the kids to bed and pull out my yarn. I pull out the pattern. I pull out my new how-to book. The one that explains all the abbreviations and terms. (I have mentioned I'm a newbie to this, haven't I?) I pull out the #3 needles my mom loaned me.

I start to knit the gauge square...

Oh Lord in heaven! What the hell? Who made this yarn? What were they thinking? It is evil. Soft, beautiful, EVIL. It should come with a warning. Really. The warning should read:

** WARNING! NOT FOR BEGINNERS.
THIS YARN IS EVIL. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE. STEP AWAY FROM THE YARN NOW! DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE SOFT LOVELINESS. **

So, I pulled out the beginnings of my gauge square. And then I started to knit. What you ask? Why? Have I mentioned the soft loveliness? It is SO BEAUTIFUL. The sweater will be beautiful. (Assuming I can actually knit it.)

I came close to weeping. Twice. For real. Once because of the evilness. Once because of the beauty. Now you all know. I will endure anything for the beauty. I can't help it. I have considered getting regular yarn and beginning again. I can't seem to do it. Not to say I won't relent. Or never finish the sweater. It's a good thing it is sized for 6 months. The way it's going it will probably fit a one year old. That gives me 15 months to finish this thing. I think it may take that long.

Sigh. Why do I always have to make things so difficult?



No comments: