Tuesday, August 24, 2021

I have forgotten how to do this

This does not even look the same as the last time I logged in. I mean, I guess it makes sense, it's been over three years, things change - especially on the web. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, THREE YEARS. Am old af.

So it is no secret I work in higher ed. And what I actually came here to say today has everything to do with that. Well, that and Covid. 

It seems for the first time, in my experience, large numbers of students are homesick already. I was discussing this with a colleague and she was saying how in a group meeting multiple students expressed being homesick and how that had never happened before. And it made me wonder if the fact that the students have spent the last 18 months at home and not pulling away - going out with friends, driving their parents crazy as they try to "grow up", etc - and instead being stuck together day in and day out has made this happen.

This is purely speculation and there is no data to back up my claims. I wonder what experiences others have had. Do you have a student going off to college? Do you work with college students? What do you think?

My own children drove me insane with the, "You can't tell me what to do, I am an adult." type rhetoric the summer before they left for college. It was to the point that I hoped they would leave before I murdered them. 

Well, that is all for today. This is a weird and wild ride writing here. 

I have a feeling no one will see this because who would even realize I'd written here? But eh, it was what I was feeling I needed to do so I did it.

No comments: