Sunday, August 22, 2004

Boys

Why is it, nothing is ever DONE? I'd like to say the boys' room is done but it isn't. Today is washing the curtains and dusting the bookcase headboards on their bunkbeds. Then I could say it's done BUT it needs to be painted. It needs a rug. hmmm... the rug before winter (seems like we should have tons of time but at 10 am it is only 57 degrees out. Seems like winter is right around the next weekend. Brrr. The painting will probably have to wait until next summer. I guess curtains and dusting will have to constitute done.

As for how Jeff is handling the changes... he hates them. I think he is slowly coming around though. The good news is the boys (& I) love the changes. Their room seems bigger & brighter. And it looks... sniff, sniff, like a big kid room. No more little kid room. In one sense it is exciting, moving onto another phase, another adventure with the boys. In another sense it is scary, sad, they aren't my little boys any more and what do I do with big boys? I have no idea.

It may surprise you to hear I always thought I'd have a girl. In the beginning, back eons ago when I was pregnant with Alex, I assumed he was a girl. I never voiced this thought or even admitted it to myself. It was when he was born I realized this. The whole time I was in the hospital I was stunned I'd had a boy. What would I do with a boy? True, I have a brother but still, he was a mystery for the most part. I didn't know his thoughts on growing up. I never really knew what he was thinking. WHAT DO I DO WITH A BOY???

Well, four boys later and I'm still wondering. I think I'd be wondering just as much if I'd had a girl though. What I have learned about boys is pretty standard:
  1. Boys like any noise that could be mistaken for a bodily function.
  2. Boys like things found in nature that wiggle, creep, run... well, pretty much anything that moves.
  3. Not all boys like to actually TOUCH these things.
  4. Boys DO whine - I don't care what anyone says.
  5. Some boys care a lot about their clothes.
  6. Some boys don't care at all.
  7. All boys go through a naked stage (usually ends around the age of 4 or 5 - usually)
  8. Boys fight in ways girls would never think to.
  9. Boys play in ways girls would never think to.
  10. Boys think jumping on each other is fun.
  11. Boys will make a weapon out of anything. (Yes, ANYTHING... fingers, sticks, vacuum tubes, legoes, toast... the list goes on & on & on)
I know there are more boy things but I can't think of any right now and the boys are bugging me to get on the computer. Must make more coffee too.

~ 18 day until school ~

No comments: