Sunday, September 19, 2004

Brain on Vacation

Saturday my brain went on a vacation. It worried me a bit. Well, more than a bit. I wandered room to room wondering what I should be doing. When I'd think of something, it would be gone before I made it into the next room. I tried to make a list. Really. When the pen hit the paper nothing came out. I finally fell asleep on the couch in the playroom. Didn't help.

Luckily for the children, my MIL invited us to dinner. Good thing they didn't have to rely on me to put a meal together. Now I have mentioned that my MIL is an anatomist. I mentioned to her my "problem" hoping she wasn't about to commit me. What she told me does not bode well for my family. Apparently, as we age, this happens more often/intensely during our periods. I figure at the rate I'm going, two months from now I'll be put into a home for a few days each month. A year from now I'll be strapped to a chair drooling on myself. Not a positive forecast of things to come.


The good news is: at about 3:30 a.m. my brain snapped back. It woke me from a dead sleep and started running through all the things I needed to do as soon as I woke. I was even able to fall back to sleep after about an hour of mental marathoning.

The bad news is: I had to take allergy medicine when I got up. It's prescription and the only one I've ever tried that didn't make me drowsy. Unfortunately, it also wakes me up after about 3 hours of sleep. When Tyler woke me up because of nightmares at 2 a.m. I was/am up. Laid there until 3:15 and then realized it was time to get up. No sleep on the horizon. Just a million thoughts running through my head. (Apparently trying to make up for Saturday.)

So if any of my family is reading this... expect to find me napping later in the day.

No comments: