Friday, September 10, 2004

Cranky!

Yes, I'm cranky today. I know you're wondering what I could be cranky about before 7 in the a.m. when school is finally in session. Let me tell you. (Remember, no one said you HAVE to read this. I get to vent here if I want to.)

The most basic reason is I have to get out of bed in the dark at 6 a.m. to get Alex off to school. WHY would they make kids go to school so damn early? Who planned this anyway? You just know some morning person had a hand in this. Maybe a whole bunch of them got together and planned this as revenge on us night owls.

Another reason I'm so cranky is I came down with a cold yesterday. You know the stage when you have chills and you lean forward and your nose actually drips like a faucet. After the hundreds of colds I've had, the dripping still freaks me out. Not the so stuffy your head will explode part of the cold (though that makes me cranky too) but the drippy part actually surprises me every time. I'm just getting past that part now, moving on to the stuffy bit.

Then there is the sudden realization that we are going to have to transport the kids 1 hour each way to activities FIVE days a week. Yes, I said an HOUR, FIVE days a week. That is TEN hours a week, not to mention the gas to support these trips. Now I know your saying, put the kids in activities closer to home. Why drive that far? Well, the only gymnastics center is that far away AND the "nice to interfaith marriages" temple is that far away. In fact, I think there is only one temple any closer and that is still 40 minutes away. Wahhhh!

I swore I would not be one of those mom's who ran their kids here and there and left them with no down time. Up until now we have managed to eat together at least 5 nights a week. Now it looks like we are down to 2. The other problem with 2 of the travel days is the start time. Hebrew school starts at 4:15. Alex will have time to have a snack and do a bit of homework before we go but I will have to pick up the middle 2 from school on Mondays. Then on Tuesdays, I (or my mom) has to pick up Tyler 20 minutes before he is suppose to get out to go to gymnastics. Arghhh!!! The worst is when I have to drag all 4 kids out there. This is not going to be pleasant. Usually during the school year, and especially in the winter, they are homebodies. They get home and don't want to leave again. I can't even get them to the grocery for milk.

All I want is to curl up in my jammies and hang on the couch but I must go to Walmart and Wegmans (the grocery). Last minute school supplies will not wait (I did try to get them at another store last night while Ty was at gymnastics but they had NOTHING left.) Oh, I'll also be dragging an extra preschooler around with me. Don't get me wrong. She is a great kid and too cute (& a girl, always a plus in my book) but ugh! shopping with 2 kids and a cold.

I'll stop ranting now. Thanks for reading (if you did). If anyone has suggestions, PLEASE let me know. I'll take all the help I can get. (Anyone want to drive?)

No comments: