Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Exercise

Well, I did it again. I exercised. Instead of beginning yoga I moved on to beginning pilates. Hey, it's been a while since I've done anything.

I was getting bored with the same hour of yoga over and over (a whole three times) and thought I'd try my new pilates DVD. Let's just say it started out easy. And then... and then I thought my hips were going to ignite. My legs were shaking. I thought they would fly out of the sockets and clatter to the floor a few feet away. I expect not to be able to crawl out of bed tomorrow.

So once again you all find out how sad I am. Sad, sad, sad. The other problem I have with pilates? (Even when I was in the best shape of my life a couple years ago) I can not do a roll-up. Does anyone else out there do pilates? A roll-up for those of you who don't is much like a sit-up. You lie flat on your back with your arms over your head and roll-up to touch your feet. (Hence the name roll-up.) I can't get more than my shoulders off the floor. WHY? Does anyone know if I could blame this on FOUR c-sections? Could it be all the scar tissue? Could it be the fact they cut my abdomen FOUR times? Please, tell me I'm not just a weak loser and have a good excuse. Please?

As for other types of exercise... Not for me. One, I hate to sweat. Two, I hate to jump around. Three, I like the whole 'quiet the mind/concentrate on your breath' of yoga and pilates. It really does help center me. Goofy, I know. But true. Besides, the coordination required is much less and I know if I keep doing it I won't be flailing around so much as my 'core' gets stronger.

Could it be I'm actually starting to exercise regularly? So not me.

No comments: