Friday, June 24, 2005

Where I'm From...

I am from hot iron steam, from bike rides to Lynch's and raspberry Slushies.

I am from woods, a long, steep driveway, the smell of pine.

I am from oak trees, lady slippers and moss. The scent of the earth and the carpet of leaves.

I am from the pines, rhododendrons and toads. Lumpy and smooth all at the same time. Hopping. Peeing when you pick them up.

I am from trips to the ocean and strong women, from Moms and Aunts and Grandmothers.

I am from yelling and hugs.

From being anything I want to be and being different is good.

I am from Episcopals and Catholics. Church on Sundays.

I am from open-minded in a close-minded town. From New England and England, Poland and the Mayflower, a nice thick steak and pancakes for dinner.

From the question of my dad's parentage, book lovers, and the know-it-alls.

I am from photo albums and stories told during family visits. I am from love, laughter and support.


**This poem was done from a template. The original poem was written by George Ella Lyon. Both the poem and template can be seen here.

No comments: